Generic Name(s): Goserelin
Drug Class: Gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist
Treats: prostrate cancer, breast cancer
Zoladex is a drug that is used to stimulate the production of certain hormones in the body. The overstimulation causes production of these hormones to temporarily cease. Zoladex is used to treat symptoms associated with prostate cancer in men and endometriosis or breast cancer in women. Before surgery, it is also used to make the lining of the uterus thin.
Zoladex Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!
The free Pharmacy Coupons Zoladex Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Zoladex is a man-made hormone that is used to stimulate the overproduction of certain hormones in the human body. This causes various reactions that eventually aid in relieving symptoms associated with prostate and breast cancer in men and women respectively.
- Prostate cancer: this is a cancer that affects the prostate in men and its symptoms are the urge to urinate frequently, difficulty in having and keeping an erection, blood in semen or urine, painful ejaculation and a burning sensation when urinating.
- Breast cancer: this is a cancer that affects either one or both breasts. Its symptoms are a rash around the nipple, lump on either or both armpits, change in breast sizes, and an unusual discharge from nipple.
Zoladex comes in two forms: 3.6mg and 10.8mg. It is more common for doctors to use the 3.6mg version. Zoladex dosage requires it to be administered every 28 days, subcutaneously to the abdominal wall. It is important for patients to adhere to the 28 days period.
- Stage 2 prostate carcinoma- if Zoladex is to be used together with other forms of treatment such as radiation, then the dosage should be given at least 8 week before the start of therapy. After the first 28 days, the 10.8mg dose should be administered.
The Zoladex dosage for advanced prostatic carcinoma and breast cancer requires that the drug be for long-term use, unless directed otherwise by the doctor. To aid in controlling endometriosis, the recommended dosage period is 6 months.
Zoladex Side Effects
Zoladex causes different side effects in its patients. Because of its nature, some of the side effects are specific to women only while others are found in men only. Most of these symptoms are mild and can be controlled; however, if they continue for more than a week, then medical attention should be sought. Furthermore, some of these side effects are rare while others are common. Rare side effects in both men and women
- Hives or itching
- Troubled breathing
- Bone or joint pain
- Irregular breathing
- Numbness in both hands and feet
- Tightness in the chest
- Sudden drop in blood pressure
Rare side effects in women-only
- Mental depression
- Increased hair growth
- Changes in mood
Rare side effects in men only
- Pain in the groin
- Pain in the chest
Zoladex should be taken with precautions, as patients are advised against taking other drug while using Zoladex, without a doctor's permission. Interactions between different medicines are common and often cause severe side effects. If a patient needs to take a different drug while still taking Zoladex, he/she should seek a doctor's advice in advance.
Not all the drugs that cause Zoladex interactions have been listed above.