Unasyn is a combination of two active ingredients, semi synthetic antibacterial ampicillin sodium and beta-lactamase inhibitor sulbactam sodium. This antibacterial medication is prescribed for intravenous and intramuscular administration. Unasyn kills the bacteria by blocking the cell wall growth of bacteria.
Unasyn Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!
The free Pharmacy Coupons Unasyn Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Unasyn is a prescription drug, which is used to treat infections caused by certain bacteria. This penicillin antibiotic may not be used to treat viral infections (for example, the common cold). Unasyn is used for the full course treatment; otherwise, it cannot cure you completely. However, long-term treatment by Unasyn may make bacteria less sensitive to this type of treatment and cause a second infection. Unasyn is commonly used to treat the following infections:
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Surgical Prophylaxis
- Skin or Soft Tissue Infection
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
- Joint Infection
- Intraabdominal Infection
- Deep Neck Infection
- Aspiration Pneumonia
Unasyn may be administered by intravenous infusion and intramuscular injections. Intravenous infusion is administered for 1,15 minutes of slow injection or 1,30 minutes with 5,100 mL of a compatible diluent. The common Unasyn dosage is the following:
- Unasyn adult dosage is 1.5 g to 3 g every 6 hours
- Unasyn pediatric dosage depends on the weight of a patient. The recommended daily dose is 300 mg/kg of body weight. Unasyn should be administered via intravenous infusion, equally divided into several doses every 6 hours. Pediatric patients with a weight of 40 kg or more receive the same dosage as adults.
In patients with impairment of renal function, the dosage of Unasyn should be modified according to the creatinine clearance test results.
Unasyn Side Effects
In general, Unasyn is well tolerated. However, this medication may cause certain adverse reactions and unwanted side effects. You may have the following local adverse reactions:
- Pain at IM injection site
- Pain at IV injection site
While having Unasyn treatment, you may occur the following side effects:
- Bloody nose
- Burning while urinating
- Changes in skin color
- Chest pain
- Decrease in the frequency of urination and urine volume, painful urination
- Difficulty in passing urine (dribbling)
- Discoloration of the skin
- Feeling of pressure
- Flushing or redness of the skin
- Pain, swelling of the foot or leg, or tenderness
- Swelling or puffiness of the face
Like any other drug, Unasyn may interact with other drugs and substances. You should consult with your doctor or medical professional before adding any new medication, including over the counter drugs. Below is a list of drugs that have been known to interact with Unasyn. Note that this list does not include all possible drug interactions.
- Bismuth subcitrate potassium
- Bismuth subsalicylate
- Ethinyl estradiol
- Folic acid
- Guar gum
- Mycophenolate mofetil
- Mycophenolic acid
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Salicylic acid topical
- Sodium iodide i-123
- Sodium iodide-i-131
Unasyn may have certain disease interactions. Be sure you healthcare provider knows if you have the following health problems:
- Enteritis/Colitis (Noninfectious)
- Hypertension, Fluid Retention, Congestive Heart Failure, Hyponatremia
- Renal Dysfunction