Generic Name(s): dextromethorphan hydrobromide, chlorpheniramine maleate, phenylephrine hydrochloride, and guaifenesin
Drug Class: Upper respiratory combinations
Treats: Cold Symptoms, Coughs
Quartuss is a combination of a cough suppressant, hydrocodone and an expectorant. Quartuss relieves throat irritation, cough, airway and congestion brought about by the flu, hay fever or colds. Quartuss is available in generic form dextromethorphan hydrobromide, chlorpheniramine maleate, phenylephrine hydrochloride, and guaifenesin and belongs to the drug class Upper respiratory combinations.
Quartuss Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!The free Pharmacy Coupons Quartuss Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Quartuss handles conditions resulting from symptoms that include nasal congestions, constriction of throat or airways congestion. Quartuss treats:
- stuffy nose
- sinus congestion
Chest congestion brought about by:
- the sinusitis
- the common cold or flu
The decongestant, Phenylephrine works by constricting the blood vessels hence decreasing cases of swelling in the nasal passages relieving the problems of the stuffy nose. The expectorant, guaifenesin loosens the secretions of the mucus and lungs in your chest, therefore, making coughs more productive. The cough suppressant, Carbetapentane acts in the brain and help reduce the cough reflex.
Below is the necessary dose used by many doctors to give Quartuss to their patients. Depending on one's medical condition and history, a doctor may prescribe a different regimen. You shouldn’t start or stop taking the drugs or even change the prescribed dose unless directed by your physician.
The necessary Quartuss dosage is as follow:
- Each teaspoonful contains 5 ml of 5mg Hydrocodone Bitartrate and 350 mg potassium guaiacolsulfonate combination
- Take 5-15 ml, 1-3 teaspoonfuls, after every 4-6 hours.
- 6-12 Years: Take 5 ml, one teaspoonful, after every 4-6 hours
Quartuss Side Effects
Like any other medication, Quartuss has been linked with several side effects, both frequent and severe. It is recommended that you seek medical attention immediately you experience side effects of this medication.
The common side effects are:
- Diarrhea, dizziness
- Drowsiness, excitability
- Headache, irritability
- Nausea, stomach upset
Quartuss severe side effects include:
- rash, hives, fever, chills,
- itching, difficulty breathing;
- tight chest, swelling mouth or tongue
- confusion; difficulty urinating
- inability to urinate, or irregular heartbeat;
- persistent sore throat;
- hallucinations, anxiety, nervousness
- paleness, trouble sleeping
- restlessness seizures, persistent dizziness
- drowsiness, headache
- Lightheadedness, tremor.
Drug interaction may increase your risks of having severe side effects or change the functioning of your drugs. The patient must not start, change or stop the dosage of any medication exclusive of your physician approval. Some of the drugs that can interact with Quartuss are:
- acetaminophen / propoxyphene, acetaminophen / tramadol, Agenerase (amprenavir)
- Alcohol 5% in Dextrose 5% (ethanol), Aldactone (spironolactone), alvimopan
- amiloride, amiloride / hydrochlorothiazide, amiodarone, amoxicillin / clarithromycin / lansoprazole
- amoxicillin/clarithromycin / omeprazole, amprenavir, Aplenzin (bupropion), aprepitant
- aspirin / caffeine / propoxyphene, atazanavir / cobicistat
- Atrosept (hyoscyamine / methenamine / methylene blue / phenyl salicylate)
- Balacet (acetaminophen / propoxyphene), Biaxin (clarithromycin)