Generic Name(s): Diphenhydramine
Drug Class: ethanolamine
Treats: runny or stuffy nose, watery or itchy eyes, itchy throat
Phenydryl (Diphenhydramine) is a medication which temporarily relieves runny or stuffy nose, watery or itchy eyes and itchy throat which are caused by allergies, the common cold and other breathing illnesses. This medication contains a decongestant, antihistamine, and anticholinergic. However, this medication may also be used for other conditions as determined by the doctor. Consult the doctor for more information.
Phenydryl Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!The free Pharmacy Coupons Phenydryl Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Phenydryl is a medication which is used to temporarily relief runny or stuffy nose, watery or itchy eyes and itchy throat which are caused by allergies, the common cold and other breathing illnesses. However, this medication should not be used to treat an ongoing cough from smoking and long-term breathing problems. T
The decongestant is used to treat nasal congestion by narrowing the blood vessels in the nose while the anticholinergic dries up runny noses and fluids running down the throat that cause itching or irritation. The antihistamine relieves itchy or watery eyes and blocking histamine released by allergies. However, this medication may also be used for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
- runny or stuffy nose
- watery or itchy eyes
- itchy throat
Phenydryl dosage is administered in the form of tablets and oral capsules. The dosage depends on the patient's condition. The dosage also depends with the strength of the medicine. Do not start, stop or change the dosage without consulting the doctor. Note, overuse or unnecessary use of this medicine can lead to ineffectiveness of the medicine or cause serious side effects.
Dosage for Allergic conditions
- 25-50 mg 3-4 times daily.;
- Maximum: 300 mg per day.
- 6.25-25 mg 3-4 times daily, up to 5 mg per kg in divided doses.;
- Maximum: 300 mg per day.
Dosage for motion sickness
- Usual dose: 90-135 mg. May repeat if needed at intervals of at least 6 hours.
- Maximum: 540 mg daily.;
- For prevention, dose to be given at least 30 min before travelling
Dosage for Parenteral Allergic conditions
- 10-50 mg up to 100 mg.
- Not more than 400 mg in 24 hr.
- 5 mg/kg daily in 4 divided doses
Phenydryl Side Effects
Phenydryl has some side effects which are not harmful if detected and treated early enough. It has some needed and some unwanted side effects. However, not all the side effects that may be reported. Some unwanted side effects need to be reported for medication. In the event that any of these side effects occurs, seek medical attention immediately.
Common side effects
- dry mouth
- blurred vision
- stomach upset
- fast heartbeat
- trouble sleeping
- shaking or tremors
- difficult or painful urination
- very fast or irregular heartbeat
- severe mental or mood changes
- eye pain/swelling/redness
- vision changes;
Phenydryl has some known drug interactions. It is known to interact with a total of over 800 other types of medicines. However, consult your doctor first before combining any medicine to avoid further complications. Do not combine drugs anyhow. Inform your doctor of all prescription and non-prescription drugs you are currently using.
Some of the drugs that interact with Phenydryl include;
- diphenhydramine cream
- potassium tablets/capsules
- tricyclic antidepressants such as nortriptyline, amitriptyline
- Sympathomimetics (Indirect & Mixed-Acting)/Maois
- Selected Antihistamines/Maois
- Agents Affecting Gi Motility/Pramlintide
- Selected Sympathomimetics/Tricyclic Compounds
- Mixed; Indirect Sympathomimetic/Linezolid; Rasagiline;Selegiline
- Anticholinergics/Solid Oral Potassium Capsules
- Anticholinergics/Solid Oral Potassium Tablets
- Sympathomimetics/Selected Inhalation Anesthetic Agents