Brand Name(s): The Assess, Personal Best Vitalograph meters
Drug Class: medical equipment
Treats: checks asthmatic symptoms, evaluates asthmatic medical plan, helps you find out what triggers your asthma
A peak flow meter is a special device that is used by asthma patients. It is used to monitor and evaluate how well the air moves out of an asthma patient's lungs. It helps a patient monitor their symptoms and manage or prevent any possible asthma attack. A peak flow meter is cheap, portable and can be easily carried by hand.
Peak flow meter Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!The free Pharmacy Coupons Peak flow meter Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Peak flow meter Uses
A peak flow meter works by measuring and evaluating the speed of air coming out of your lungs. This is determined by taking very deep breaths and then, exhaling forcefully. The meter will alert you if your bronchial tubes are tightening, it warns you of any pending asthma attacks hours or days before the attack. This will tell you when to take your medication or seek medical assistance from your doctor or physician. Remember that this device does not cure asthma. It only alerts you of any asthma symptoms that may arise anytime. The peak flow meter is used to help you:
- Check if you have any asthma symptoms
- Know what triggers your asthma
- Know when to seek further medical attention
- Monitor if your current asthma medication works well with you
- Know when to use your asthma medication or inhaler
Peak flow meter Dosage
The peak flow meter device should be used to track your asthma as instructed by your doctor. The doctor or physician may determine the number tests made based on factors, such as the seriousness of the condition being treated, weight, age, medical history and response to treatment. Therefore, tests may vary from one patient to the next. The duration between intervals, time and the length of using the peak flow meter is determined by the severity of the condition being treated.
How to Use the Peak Flow Meter Device:
For adults and children: the tests should be done twice a day, once in the morning and once before going to bed.
- First, make sure that the indicator is at the zero mark on your meter.
- You may stand up or sit upright.
- Fill your lungs with air by breathing in deeply.
- Place the mouthpiece of your device in your mouth and bite it lightly with your teeth. Close your mouth and make sure that your tongue does not block the mouthpiece.
- Exhale forcefully and as fast as you can in one single blow.
- Pull out the peak flow meter from your mouth, record your meter reading and repeat the process two more times.
- Compare your readings and note down the highest between the three tests. If you maintain your highest peak flow recordings in two to three weeks, it means that you are in good health.
Note: To ensure that you have correct and standard readings from your peak flow meter, follow the same process each time you do your tests. It is well advised to check your asthma symptoms at thesame timedaily.
Peak flow meter Side Effects
The peak flow meter does not have any serious side effects because it is not medication. Very few common side effects have been reported, but they occur when you take very deep breaths and exhale the air out of your lungs fast and forcefully. These side effects include:
- Tightening of the chest
Peak flow meter Interactions
There are no known possible drug interactions when it comes to the peak flow meter because it is used outside the body; however, consult your doctor on any possible drug interactions. Some drugs and substances may interact with a peak flow meter and reduce the device's effectiveness or cause severe side effects. In most cases, the peak flow meter is not combined with other drugs unless the doctor authorizes it. Remember to not start, stop or change the use of any medication without informing your doctor while using the peak flow meter.