Minivelle is a skin patch that contains estrogen. This medicine is used as a hormone replacement in women who are suffering from menopause. Minivelle helps minimize hot flashes and can aid in the prevention of osteoporosis. It is recommended for women who have low estrogen levels and also those who have had their ovaries removed.
Minivelle is a prescription drug that contains estrogen hormone. Its generic form is estradiol transdermal. It comes in the following forms:
- Patch, Extended Release
Minivelle works by releasing estrogen into the bloodstream via the skin. Here it works as a growth hormone. It prevents the unwanted symptoms such as warmth on your neck, face or chest or even hot flashes when in menopause.
Minivelle is used in the prevention and treatment of the following conditions:
- Postmenopausal osteoporosis (weak and thin bones)
- Symptoms of menopause e.g. vaginal dryness irritation, burning and hot flashes.
- Postmenopausal Urethral Atrophy
- Ovarian disorders
Other equivalent brand forms are Alora, Estraderm, Climara, Menostar, etc.
Common side effects by Minivelle are:
- Thinning scalp hair
- Bloating and stomach cramps
- Irritation and redness where the patch was worn
- Breast pain
- Vaginal itching and discharge
- Fluid retention (swelling, rapid weight gain)