Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a condition that affects the digestive system at any age of a person. IBS causes many undesirable digestive system complications such as diarrhea, constipation, stomach cramps and bloating. No one would want to have such complications as they do have a lot of pain
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Drugs
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms
The IBS symptoms vary from one person to another where some are more affected than the others do. The problem with IBS symptoms is that they are not consistent. Some might last only a few days and disappear, only to reappear days or months later. It makes a person think it is just the normal stomach upsets.
- Having regular stomach swellings
- Consistent pain in the lower belly
- The occasional feeling of using the toilet every time
- Common flatulence occurrence
- The presence of mucus in the stool
People tend to ignore such symptoms hoping that they go away with time. When the symptoms are not checked in time and treatment administered, it will be hard to contain the condition later on in life. The condition still leads to other different complications in the body such as:
- Regular backaches
- Having bladder problems
- Lacking energy most of the time
- Sleeping problems due to the abdominal pains
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Causes
Many medical practitioners do not know what directly causes irritable bowel syndrome. Some have come up with theories, but still failed to prove them. They think that several changes in the digestive system are likely to cause IBS. The condition is caused by changes in the digestive system, increase in gut sensitivity and psychological factors.
The things we take as food or drinks affect all the mentioned cases.
- People who have food allergies and they do not know about them. Some people are affected with IBS based on the irritation the food will make once it has been ingested
- Having stress aggravates some symptoms to show up
- The hormonal changes in the body, especially the women during the menstrual periods
- Too many bacteria in the digestive system may trigger the symptoms of IBS
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Diagnosis
The diagnosis of Irritable bowel syndrome is based on the current symptoms that the patient is experiencing. Most doctors check on the typical symptoms before making a decision. There are some cases where more tests have to be administered to determine the exact cause and treat it. The tests will depend on the age, severity of the symptoms, and the patient's response to the first treatment.
- Checking the medical history of the patient
- A simple blood test
- Stool analysis for constipation or diarrhea
- Checking for inflammation in the body
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatment
The treatment for irritable bowel syndrome varies based on the symptoms experienced by the patient. All of these symptoms are associated with the digestive system, changing the diet and lifestyle helps in dealing with them.
- The antimotility medicine necessary for relieving diarrhea
- For constipation, patients use laxatives to eliminate the condition
- Antispasmodics to reduce the amount of stomach pains and cramps
For more information on Irritable Bowel Syndrome visit: