Generic Name(s): GUAIFENESIN/PSEUDOEPHEDRINE HCL
Drug Class: Upper respiratory combinations
Treats: cough, nasal congestion
Guiadrine (GUAIFENESIN/PSEUDOEPHEDRINE HCL) is a combination medicine which works by thinning and loosening mucus in the airways, clearing congestion as well as reducing breathing difficulty. Guiadrine is combined of an expectorant and a decongestant. However, this medication may also be used for other conditions as determined by the doctor. Consult the doctor for more information.
Guiadrine Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!The free Pharmacy Coupons Guiadrine Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Guiadrine is a combination medicine which is mainly used to temporarily treat cough and nasal congestion caused by certain infections such as the common cold, allergies, and other breathing illness.
The medication contains Guaifenesin, which is an expectorant that helps in thinning and loosening mucus in the airways thus clearing congestion, and making breathing easier. It also contains Pseudoephedrine, which is a decongestant that reduces nasal congestion by narrowing the blood vessels in the nose.
Guiadrine is not used for an ongoing cough caused by smoking or breathing problems. Read the prescription details carefully before you start using this medicine to ensure it is right for you.
- nasal congestion
Guiadrine dosage is dependent on the user since it is different on different users. The dosage is administered in the form of an oral liquid. The dosage also depends on the strength of the medicine and the magnitude of infection. Read the prescription details on the label or consult the doctor for details. Do not start, stop or change the dosage without consulting the doctor.
Adult Dose for Cough
- Immediate release formulation: 200 to 400 mg orally every 4 hours as needed
- Do not exceed 2.4 g per day
- Sustained release formulation: 600 to 1200 mg orally every 12 hours. Do not to exceed 2.4 g per day
Pediatric Dose for Cough
- less than 2 years: 12 mg/kg per day orally in 6 divided doses
- 2 to 5 years: 50 to 100 mg orally every 4 hours as needed. Do not exceed 600 mg per day
- 6 to 11 years: 100 to 200 mg orally every 4 hours as needed. Do not exceed 1.2 g per day
- 12 years or older: 200 to 400 mg orally every 4 hours as needed. Do not exceed 2.4 g per day
Guiadrine Side Effects
Guiadrine can cause a variety of side effects which are dependent on the patient. As well as its needed side effects, this medicine may also cause some unwanted side effects that may require medical attention. However, most of these side effects are caused by overdosing or unnecessary use of the medicine. In the event that the following side effects occur, seek medical attention immediately.
Common side effects
- Nausea or headache
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- trouble sleeping
- difficult or painful urination
- skin rash
- stomach pain
Guiadrine has some known drug interactions.This includes major, moderate, and minor interactions. As research shows, this medicine interacts with over 70 other types of drugs. However, avoid combining any medicine without consulting the doctor. Inform your doctor of all prescription and non-prescription drugs you are currently taking.
Below are some of the drugs that interact with Guiadrine
- carbidopa / levodopa
- ipratropium Inhalation
- Aerosol (ipratropium)
- Ipratropium Inhalation Solution (ipratropium)
- vitamin e
- albuterol Allegra (fexofenadine)
- Aricept (donepezil)
- atenolol Blinx Eye Wash (ophthalmic irrigation, extraocular ophthalmic)
- Calcium Oyster (calcium carbonate)