Brand Name(s): Ismelin
Drug Class: antiadrenergic agents
Treats: Hypertension, Hypertensive Emergency, Chronic pain, High blood pressure in Kidneys
Guanethidine is a drug used to treat mild or extreme cases of hypertension. Guanethidine lowers the blood pressure by decreasing the concentration of some chemicals within the blood. This has the effect of relaxing the arteries/veins by making them wider. It is taken orally and belongs to a class of medicines known as antihypertensive. It is manufactured in tablets of 10mg and 25mg.
Guanethidine Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!The free Pharmacy Coupons Guanethidine Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Guanethidine treats hypertension.
The high blood pressure in your body has a tendency to destroy the arteries/vessels of major organs such as kidneys, heart and brain in your body.
Guanethidine works by controlling impulses of a nerve along the pathway of that nerve. It widens the arteries/veins thereby helping to relax them. This, as a result, helps in the smooth circulation of blood. Relaxed arteries/vessels will help in avoiding conditions such as stroke, heart failure, heart attacks, or even kidney failure.Such occurrences may be avoided by having your blood pressure under control.
Guanethidine may be used to treat the following:
- Hypertensive Emergency
- Chronic pain, which is as a result of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- High blood pressure in Kidneys
Guanethidine dose will be administered by a doctor/physician. Some factors such as, age, patient medical history, weight etc. will be put into consideration when administering Guanethidine dose. The following prescription is usually administered:
Dose for an adult with moderate levels of hypertension (high blood pressure):
- 10mg taken orally once daily
- 25mg to 50mg should be taken once daily. Taken orally.
- Dose for an adult with severe (emergency) levels of hypertension (high blood pressure):
- Loading dose: 25 to 50mg should be taken thrice daily at a 6-hour interval on day 1 up to day 3. The dose should be taken orally.
If you miss a dose, skip that dose and take the next dose normally. Do not take a double dose. In the case of a high fever the dosage requirements will be reduced.
Guanethidine Side Effects
Like so many drugs out there, Guanethidine has its own harmful effects on to our bodies. These side effects will vary on different people depending on their body ability to tackle the effects.
Severe side effects:
- Allergic conditions such as difficulty in breathing; face, tongue and lips swelling and closing of the throat.
- Irregular heartbeats
- Chest pains
Moderate side effects:
- Drowsiness or fatigue
- Difficulty in ejaculation
- Weight gain
- Blurred vision
- Stuffy nose or a dry mouth
Incase of severe side effects one should seek medical advice from a doctor.
Other side effects that are not among the listed may occur.
Interaction will take place when the effect of guinethidine is affected by some other drug or even food. Guinethidine may interact with other medicines in a mild or extreme way. This may be harmful to your health. The following includes some of the drugs that will react with Guinethidine.
- Tricyclic antidepressants such as nortriptyline
- Phenothiazines for example chlorpromazine, prochlorperazine, perphenazine, fluphenazine, thioridazine, and others
- Respiratory medicines such as pirbuterol
- monoamine oxidise inhibitor
The list does not include all medicines that react with Guinethidine. Consult with your doctor for more information on Guinethidine.
While taking Guinethidine with the above list of medicines, it will require a careful observation or change of dose.