Generic Name(s): Codeine Phosphate, Guaifenesin
Drug Class: Expectorant
Treats: chest congestion, coughs. Common cold symptoms
Biotussin AC is an expectorant used to temporarily treat chest congestion and coughs brought about by the common cold. Like most other cough medications, the use of Biotussin on young children is discouraged especially after certain surgeries such as removal of tonsils. This is because it contains codeine which is not recommended for use in children.
Biotussin Ac Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!
The free Pharmacy Coupons Biotussin Ac Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Biotussin Ac Uses
Biotussin AC is an expectorant that aids in loosening and thinning mucus in the lungs thus making it easy to cough it out. It is also used to treat chest congestion and coughs brought forth by common cold symptoms and breathing disorders such as; bronchitis, flu and sinusitis.
Codeine, which is part of the drug’s combination medication, is a narcotic cough suppressant that by affecting a certain part of the brain tends to bring down the urge to cough. Unless specifically directed by a health care provider or pharmacist, the drug should not used to treat asthma or ongoing coughs that emanate from smoking, long term breathing problems or mucus filled coughs.
- Chest Congestion
- Common Cold
Biotussin Ac Dosage
It is paramount to follow the right dosage instructions so as to avoid some acute side effects. Additionally, long acting tablets are not recommended for use in children below twelve years. Below are the dosage instructions for Biotussin AC;
- The drug can be taken orally with or without food.
- It should be taken after every four to six hours with a full glass of water.
- In case of stomach upsets, it can be taken along with food.
- Unless otherwise directed by a health care provider, the drug should be taken along with plenty of fluids. This is because fluids aid in loosening up the mucus in the lungs.
- The liquid form should be measured carefully using a medication-measuring device and not household spoons.
- Some liquids also require shaking before administration.
Biotussin Ac Side Effects
A doctor makes an accurate judgment before administering this medication. Therefore, one may experience minimal or no side effects while taking Biotussin AC. However, one may experience some side effects as the body gets used to the medication orwhen drugs interact with each other. Some side effects ofBiotussin AC include;
- Facial flushing
Some serious side effects may also occur and would call for immediate medical attention. They include;
- Mood changes
- Trouble urinating
- Irregular heart beat
- Sudden drowsiness
- Shallow breathing
If any of these side effects persist or become severe, it is advisable to immediately consult a health care provider or consult your pharmacist.
Biotussin Ac Interactions
Drug interactions tend to elevate the risk of serious side effects or alter the manner in which the drug works. It is also important to check the labels of any prescription or non-prescription drugs you are taking to ensure you are not taking another drug containing guaifenesin. Some drugs or other procedures that may interact with Biotussin AC include;
- Any other drugs containing guaifenesin as this would elevate the risk of serious side effects such as severe drowsiness as well as slow breathing.
- Narcotic antagonists such as naloxone, naltrexone and quinidine
- Alcohol and some drugs for sleep and anxiety such as; zolpidem and diazepam
- Muscle relaxants and narcotic pain relievers such as morphine
- Biotussin AC may also alter the results of certain laboratory tests such as urine VMA levels or Lipase levels.