Anacaine is among the many anesthetic agents available in the market. Anacaine is available either as lozenges, aerosols, gel, pastes or solutions. Anacaine acts as local anesthesia when applied to the skin therefore reducing pain especially in hemorrhoids and external burns. Anacaine can also be used in the case of oral ulcers and agonizing fissures and, to some extent, minor surgeries in the same respect.
Anacaine Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!
The free Pharmacy Coupons Anacaine Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Anacaine, as any other local anesthesia, is used in reducing sensation. This in turn renders Anacaine as a strong pain reliever in a number of conditions and a local anesthetic agent in minor surgical procedures. Below is a list of some of the ailments that are managed using Anacaine:
- Canker sores
- Sore throats
- Cold sores
- Lesions caused by ill-fitting dentures and sore gums.
- Mouth sores i.e stomatitis
- Painful sore throat
- Surgical procedures such as airway intubation, proctoscopy, endoscopy, bronchoscopy and laryngoscopy
There are many other unprecedented uses that may be determined as per your physician"s preference, but it is also good to keep in mind that Anacaine is a prescription-only drug and should never be used otherwise.
Dosages vary as per ailment being treated. Anacaine is administered carefully by a qualified medical practitioner with the help of an anesthetist and the risks of using it should be outweighed against the expected outcomes.
Some of the regimes used include:-4
For adults, different preparations may be used. Below are guidelines on how they should be utilized for different anesthetic procedures.
Benzocaine Topical 20% mucous membrane Spray
- Airway intubation, bronchoscopy or oral airway – Apply half a second burst to the buccal folds then instruct the patient to swallow severally. Wait for 1 minute before commencing with the procedure.
- Upper Endoscopy – Apply half a second burst to each naris then wait for ½-1 minute to insert the transducer
- Head/ neck examination, indirect laryngoscopy – Spray half a second burst to each buccal fold which is swallowed severally then wait for 1 minute to begin the procedure.
- Arch bar removal – Spray area of interest for ½ a second then proceed with arch bar removal
Benzocaine Topical 20% mucous membrane Gel
- This is administered by applying the gel topically in case of proctoscopy. It can also be indicated for airway intubation.
Benzocaine Topical 20% mucous membrane Liquid
- Head/neck examination, indirect laryngoscopy – Gargle 10mls for 15 seconds and then spit. Wait for ½-1 minute to commence with the procedure
- Nasal biopsies – Head tilt the patient and administer 2-3 drops into each naris then initiate procedure after ½-1 minute
Benzocaine Topical 20% mucous membrane Swab
- This is applied topically to the affected area and is used in acquiring nasal biopsies.
Mouth sores, Canker sores, Stomatitis
Benzocaine Topical 20% mucous membrane Swabs
- Apply on affected site for both adults and children
Benzocaine Topical 10% mucous membrane Powder for Reconstruction
- Apply solution every 4-6 hours in case of oral lesions secondary to ill-fitting dentures, canker sores, stomatitis and aphthous ulcers
Other formulations that are useful in children:
Benzocaine Topical 10% Gel
- 2-18 years - Apply every 6 hours in case of sore gums and canker sore
Mouth pain, painful sore throat Benzocaine Topical Oral Lozenges
- Dissolve 1 lozenge in the mouth 2 hourly for both adults and children aged >5 years.
Benzocaine Topical 20% mucous membrane Gel
- Adults: Apply gel onto the affected site
Hemorrhoids Benzocaine Topical 20% Rectal Ointment
- Apply every 4 hours after cleaning the area with soap and water
- As per adult dose
Sunburns Benzocaine Topical 20% Gel
- Apply every 6 hours on affected area
- As per adults dose
Benzocaine Topical 20% Cream
- Apply every 8-12 hours
- As per adult dose.
NB: Anacaine dosage for pain is similar to the regimes used to treat sunburns. Anacaine preparations should not be used by children less than 2 years of age.
Anacaine Side Effects
Like any other drug, Anacaine has its side effects. , Anacaine adverse effects are divided according to their mode of administration. Remember that these are not a normal occurrence and health care services should be sought if you feel any of the below:
- Topical administration
- High fever
- Reddening, irritation, swelling and aggravation of pain in the mouth
Other systemic effects that need consultations include:
- Skin – Urticaria, burning sensation and contact dermatitis
- Cardiovascular – Angioedema
- Hematologic – Methaemoglobinaemia
It is of note to know that, with prolonged use, Anacaine poses may threat to your immunity and you may fall sick more often.
You should never take Anacaine with any other drug without consulting your physician. This is because Anacaine interacts with some drugs later causing serious side effects or may interfere with the drug potency. Below you will find a list of some of the drugs that should be avoided when you are on Anacaine. Note that these do not include all the substances and vitamins.
- Citanest Forte
- Cyanide antidote kit
- Amyl nitrite
- Sodium nitrite
- Sodium thiosulfate
Always consult your doctor if you develop any symptoms while using Anacaine.