Brand Name(s): Amikin
Drug Class: Aminoglycosides
Treats: Bacterial infection
Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride is an aminoglycoside antibiotic that is used to treat certain serious bacterial infection. Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride works by inhibiting the production of bacterial proteins which are known to cause bacterial cell death. If you are allergic to Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride or other aminoglycoside antibiotics such as gentamicin, it is not recommended to use Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride.
Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!
The free Pharmacy Coupons Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride Uses
Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride is a medication that is mostly used to treat or prevent a wide variety of bacterial infections. Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride belongs to a drug class known as an aminoglycoside antibiotic. Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride works by stopping the growth of bacteria in the body. Make sure that you learn the usage and all preparation of Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride from your doctor or pharmacist if you are given this medication to yourself at home. The dosage will be given by your doctor based on your weight, medical condition, and response to treatment.
- Bacterial infections
Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride Dosage
You will find below the dosage guidelines of Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride that doctors use, but depending on the medical history and the medical condition of the patient, a pharmacist or a doctor may prescribe a different regimen for Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride. A patient should not change their dosage or stop taking their medication without a doctor’s approval.
Adult Dose for Bacteremia
- Take 15 to 22.5 mg/kg/day IV or IM in 1 to 3 divided doses, depending on how the infection is severe (initial maximum dose of 1.5 g/day, then adjust dose based on the desired serum levels)
Adult Dose for Joint Infection
- Take 15 to 22.5 mg/kg/day IV or IM in 1 to 3 divided doses, depending on how severe the infection is (initial maximum dose of 1.5 g/day, then adjust dose based on the desired serum levels)
Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride Side Effects
Side effects of Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride cannot be predicted but if there is any change in development or intensity, it is advisable to inform a doctor soonest possible. Doctors are in the best position to advice on whether a patient should continue with Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride or not.
Incidence not known of Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride
- black, tarry stools
- bloody or cloudy urine
- pale skin
- rapid weight gain
- ringing or buzzing in the ears
- pain in the joints
- pain in the lower back or side
- painful or difficult urination
- sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- shortness of breath
- sore throat
Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride Interactions
Certain drugs, when used with Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride, might cause its effects to be decreased, altered, or increased. A patient is expected to consult a doctor before combining Amikacin Sulfate/Sod Chloride with these drugs. These drugs are:
- Acetylsalicylic Acid (aspirin), Adrenalin (epinephrine)
- Aldactone (spironolactone), Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate)
- Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim), Cipro (ciprofloxacin)
- Co-trimoxazole (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim),Combivent (albuterol / ipratropium)
- Cotrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim), Demerol (meperidine)
- Flagyl (metronidazole), Levaquin (levofloxacin), Paracetamol (acetaminophen)
- Potassium Chloride in Sodium Chloride (lvp solution with potassium)
- Rocephin (ceftriaxone), Vitamin B Complex 100 (multivitamin)
- Vitamin K (phytonadione), Vitamin K1 (phytonadione)
- Xopenex (levalbuterol), Zofran (ondansetron)