Brand Name(s): Albenza
Drug Class: Anthelmintic
Treats: Infections caused by parasitic worms
Albendazole is an anthelmintic drug which is used for the treatment of disease caused by tape worms. The drug is marketed by the name of Albenza and is one of the essential medicines recommended by the World Health Organization for maintaining a good health.
The conditions this medicine treats include Pinworm disease, infection of the nervous system, Girardiasis, Filariasis, etc.
Albendazole Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!The free Pharmacy Coupons Albendazole Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Albendazole is used to treat infections caused by tapeworms as well as other kinds of parasitic worms. Albandazole is one of the basic medicine for maintaining a healthy body and is one the list of World Health Organization's list of essential medicines. Albendazole is used to treat the following conditions:
- Neurocysticercosis- Infection of the nervous system caused by pork tapeworms.
- cystic hydatid disease of the liver
- Pinworm Disease
- Filariasis- Infection caused by roundworms of filorioidea type
It must be noted that the list does not contain all uses of Albendazole and your doctor may prescribe the medicine for any other condition.
Albendazole is taken for the treatment of infections caused by parasitic worms. The medicine is a prescription only drug and must be taken exactly as advised by your doctor. Also, do not stop the medicine on your own. Many times, your doctor may advise you to take Albandazole between the gaps of a couple of weeks. You can mark your calendar for keeping track of your dosage. The normal dosage of Albendazole is given below:
Dosage for neurocysticercosis:
- Adults weighing more than 60 Kg: 400mg of Albendazole two times a day along with meals for 8 to 30 days.
- Adults weighing less than 60 Kg: Usually 15 mg per kilogram of body weight for 8 to 30 days.
Dosage for Hydatid disease:
- Adults weighing more than 60 Kg: Usually 400 mg twice a day for 28 days followed by a break of 14 days in a cycle of 3 times.
- Adults weighing less than 60 kg: Usually 15 mg per kg two times a day with meals for 28 days followed by a break of 14 days in a cycle of 3 times.
Albendazole Side Effects
As with any medicine, there are a few side effects that accompany Albendazole as well. Please consult your doctor to understand all the side effects of the medicine. It is also advised to keep a track of your health after starting the medicine. Contact your doctor should you feel any discomfort or changes. Here are some side effects of Albendazole:
- Pain in the stomach or abdomen
Rare but serious side effects:
- Thinning of the blood marrow
- Inflammation of the liver in patients having liver problems.
- Unusual tiredness
- Shortness of breath
The given list does not contain all side effects of ALbendazole. Consult your doctor if any abnormality appears.
There are a few drugs that interact with Albendazole and they must be taken into consideration before the medication begins. Also, it is a good idea to keep a list of medicines while visiting your doctor. Make sure that you include prescription, non prescription, herbal as well as supplement drugs you are taking. The given list includes some of the most common drug interactions of Albendazole. It does not contain all the interactions, please consult your doctor for detailed information:
- Antiepileptic drugs like carbamazepine, phenytoin, etc.
Albendazole is also not recommended for pregnant women and women who are breastfeeding.