Generic Name(s): Ondansetron
Drug Class: N/A
Treats: Vomiting, nausea
Zofran is a medication that is used to counter the after effects of a surgical procedure. These problems can be body reactions to chemotherapy or any radiation. Zofran thus averts nausea and vomiting that is caused after the chemotherapy. Though it prevents vomiting, it does little in the control of motion sickness.
Zofran Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!
The free Pharmacy Coupons Zofran Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Zofran can either be used alone or can be mixed with other readily available drugs that interact easily to bring down the vomiting, and nausea that is normally caused by the reaction of many patients' body after a successful chemotherapy or even radiation therapy.
Zofran blocks serotonin from resulting into vomit. Serotonin is a substance that triggers one to feel the urge to vomit. This is the target of Zofran. According to World Health Organization, Zofran is one of the most essential drugs that should be in any stores worldwide. This is because of its conventional use.
- Nausea or vomiting after surgery
Zofran dosage is dependent on the individual that it is being administered to. The following dosage is an average dose and could differ among individuals. Follow your medical professional's directions for best results.
- Make sure that Zofran tablets are swallowed through the mouth whether with or without food 30 minutes before a chemotherapy exercise is being carried out to the patient to prevent vomiting, 1 or 2 hours before a radiation procedure and one complete hour should elapse from the time the drug is taken and the start of a surgery to prevent vomiting.
Zofran Side Effects
Like any other drug, Zofran may cause side effects. You should contact your doctor if you suffer any severe side effects. Below you will find a list of Zofran side effects. Note that not all possible side effects are listed here.
- Feeling tired
A patient is advised to seek medical help if they experience the following side effects resulting from an allergic reaction:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling in different parts of the body like the face, throat, lips or tongue
- Jaundice (yellowing of eyes or skin)
- Blurred vision
- Faster heartbeat
- Hallucinations, loss of coordination or fainting
Like any other drug, Zofran may interact with other drugs and substances. You should consult with your doctor or medical professional before adding any new medication, including over the counter drugs. Below is a list of drugs that have been known to interact with Zofran. Note that this list does not include all possible drug interactions.
- Other serotonin 5-HT3 antagonist drugs
- Antibiotics like erythromycin and clarithromycin
- Heart medications like dofetilide
- Anti seizure medications like phenytoin
- Some depression drugs including amitriptyline and venlafaxine
- Some antipsychotic medications including mesoridazine, haloperidol, and thioridazine
- Medicine prescribed for psychiatric disorders, including pimozide, haloperidol, thioridazine and chlorpromazine
- Anti-Malaria medication including halofantrine and chloroquine
- Macrolide antibiotics