Brand Name(s): Hycamtin
Drug Class: Antineoplastic
Treats: Ovarian cancer
Topotecan is a drug that is used for treating certain types of ovarian and lung cancer that do not respond well to other types of cancer treatment. Topotecan may cause severe and sometimes fatal bone marrow suppression and blood problems. Topotecan should not be used in patients who have low platelet levels or very low white blood cells.
Topotecan Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!
The free Pharmacy Coupons Topotecan Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Topotecan is an antineoplastic that is used for treating certain types of ovarian or lung cancer that do not respond well to other types of cancer treatment. Topotecan is also used for treating certain types of cervical cancer that cannot be treated by surgery or the radiation therapy. Topotecan being an antineoplastic works by killing or preventing the multiplication of certain cancer cells. Topotecan is also a drug that is used for treating small cell lung cancer. In case of other conditions that can be treated by Topotecan, the doctor should be the only person to determine that.
- Ovarian Cancer
- Lung Cancer
Topotecan should be used as directed by the doctor. Topotecan is usually given as an injection in the doctor's office. If you miss a dose, make sure to contact your doctor right away.
- The recommended dose for ovarian cancer should be 1.5 mg/m2) IV over 30 minutes once a day for five consecutive days.
- The adult dose for cervical cancer should be 0.75 mg/m2) IV over 30 minutes on days 1, 2, and 3 of each 21-day cycle.
- The usual adult dose for small cell lung cancer should be 1.5 mg/m2) IV over 30 minutes once a day for 5 consecutive days or 2.3 mg/m(2) orally once a day for 5 consecutive days.
Topotecan Side Effects
In addition to its needed side effects, Topotecan may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention. If any of the following side effects occur while taking Topotecan, check with your doctor immediately. More common:
- bleeding gums
- chest pain
- blood in the urine or stool
- black, tarry stool
- lower back or side pain
- painful or difficult urination
- pale skin
- shortness of breath
- swollen glands
- sore throat
- hair loss
- loss of strength
- weight loss
- loss of appetite
- troubled breathing with exertion
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- pinpoint red spots on the skin
- ulcers or white spots on the lips or in the mouth.
For the past years, research has been done and it shows that a total of 777 drugs are approved to be Topotecan interactions. Some of the interactions are major, others are moderate while the rest are minor in terms of clinical significance. Before you take any other drug while you are taking Topotecan, it is advisable to talk to your doctor to make sure that they can interact. Below are some of the major Topotecan interactions: