Brand Name(s): Seroquel, Quepin
Drug Class: atypical antipsychotic / dibenzothiazepine
Treats: schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder
Quetiapine is a very popular psychotropic medication used to treat symptoms of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder. Quetiapine works to minimize psychotic features of these disorders. Quetiapine requires a prescription and cannot be purchased over-the-counter. The most common brand name of Quetiapine is Seroquel. Quetiapine is taken orally in the form of a pill.
Quetiapine Discount Coupon - Save Up To 75%** Off!
The free Pharmacy Coupons Quetiapine Coupon and Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the coupon and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This coupon is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
As an antipsychotic, Quetiapine restores order to unbalanced neurotransmitters in that brain so that it can treat conditions such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. By balancing these chemicals; Quetiapine can help decrease hallucinations and improve one's concentration, nervousness, activeness, and positivity about oneself.
Below you will find the different types of conditions that can be treated by using Quetiapine:
- Bipolar disorder
Quetiapine dosing varies person-to-person depending on the efficacy of the dose. Dosing should be scheduled and supervised by a healthcare professional. The following outlines an average dosing schedule:
- Adults: A typical dose of Quetiapine is 300-400mg per day, taken in 2 or 3 doses. On the first day, the doctor will prescribe 5mg in two doses. This will increase incrementally by 25-50 mg until the desired range is obtained. Daily dosages generally do not exceed 800 mg per day.
- Quetiapine is not suggested for children under the age of 18.
- Women should not take Quetiapine if they are pregnant or trying to get pregnant.
Quetiapine Side Effects
While taking Quetiapine, individuals may experience a number of side effects. In severe cases, these side effects may be a sign of a serious medical condition called neuroleptic malignant syndrome. Be on the lookout for changes in body motion, such as rigidity, strange movements of the mouth, and tremor. You should discuss all possible side effects with your healthcare provider. If you begin to experience any of the following side effects, consult a doctor or seek immediate medical attention. Side effects may include:
- dry mouth
- hypotension or orthostatic hypotension
- heartbeat changes
- thoughts of suicide
Combining Quetiapine with other medications may cause serious side effects. Discuss your other medications with your healthcare provider before taking Quetiapine. Many drugs interact with Quetiapine to cause dangerous side effects. These drugs include, but are not limited to:
- anti-seizure medication (Dilantin, carbamazepine,phenobarbital)
- other psychotropic medications (thioridazine, clonazepam,lorazepam, lithium, trazodone, fluoxetine, risperidone)
- macrolide antibiotics (azithromycin, clarithromycin,erythromycin)
- blood pressure medication (diltiazem, verapamil)
- opioid pain relievers (codeine, morphine, oxycodone)
- Avoid alcohol while taking Quetiapine