A nutritional deficiency is a condition that is characterized by the body not having enough of a vitamin or mineral. The most common nutritional deficiencies are the following: iron, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin D, potassium, and folate. Without these vitamins and minerals, the body may become fatigued and not function at its best.
Nutritional deficiency Drugs
- Garden of Life Multivitamin
- Centrum Men
- Centrum Women
- Centrum Adolescents
- Deva Vegan Prenatal Vitamins
- New Chapter Perfect Prenatals
- Nature Made Omega-3 Vitamins
Nutritional deficiency Symptoms
The symptoms of a nutritional deficiency are fairly different across patients, meaning that different symptoms are usually expressed. The symptoms can begin as soon as or days after the nutritional deficiency begins to happen. The body is weakened and may express the following symptoms:
- Graying of the hair
- Thin bones
- Blood clotting malfunctions
- Problems with menstruation
- Difficulty concentration
- Heart beat irregularities
If you think that you have experienced one of many of these nutritional deficiencies, then you should contact your health care professional for a consultation. This will be helpful to the patient’s overall health.
Nutritional deficiency Causes
A nutritional deficiency is caused when the patient does not ingest enough of the vitamin or mineral. Because of this, there are several causes of nutritional deficiencies. Some nutritional deficiencies must be carefully monitored or they will cause unfortunate symptoms. Always take your multivitamin if you have one of the conditions listed below. The causes of nutritional deficiencies are listed below: Inadequate amounts of the following substances:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B12
- Not enough time outside in the sun
- Kidney failure
- Sickle cell anemia
- Heavy menstruation
- Allergy to the sun
Nutritional deficiency Diagnosis
A nutritional deficiency is a condition that can be extremely detrimental. Because of this diagnosis is important for the patient’s overall health. The doctor catching a nutritional deficiency early will allow treatment to go much faster and be much more effective.
- In order for a healthcare professional to diagnose the patient he or she must perform a blood test. During the blood test the various levels of the different vitamins and minerals will be read off and calculated. If one is low, then the patient will be diagnosed with a nutritional deficiency. It is important to fast before taking this blood test.
Nutritional deficiency Treatment
If a patient is diagnosed with a nutritional deficiency, then that patient should begin consuming or acquiring larger doses of that vitamin or mineral in his or her diet.
- The treatment for an iron deficiency is that the patient should eat more red meat and have iron supplements.
- The treatment for a calcium deficiency is for the patient to consume more milk.
- For a vitamin C deficiency the patient could consume more citrus fruits and vegetables to increase his or her level of the vitamin.
- A vitamin D deficiency would require the patient to venture outside and absorb some of the sun’s rays.
- A folate deficiency can be supplemented with beans, vegetables, and fortified cereals.