Essential tremor is a nervous system disorder that is characterized by rhythmic, uncontrollable shaking of the patient. It is a neurological disease that can affect any part of your body but most often the upper limbs. The condition makes it hard for the patient to do even the simplest functions like drinking or writing. But like other medical conditions, this disease is curable if it is detected at an early stage. It can affect anyone and thus you must be aware of its symptoms.
Essential tremor Drugs
Essential tremor Symptoms
There are many ways through which essential tremor can be detected, and one is by observing its symptoms. For the physician, it is very easy to identify these symptoms from the patient. As a patient, you must be aware of the severe symptoms to help you identify the disease early enough. These are some of the main essential tremor symptoms:
- Uncontrollable shaking occurring for brief periods of time.
- Tremors that worsen during periods of emotional stress.
- Movement problems
- Tremors that get worse with purposeful movement
- Shaking voice or being unable to say some words.
- Nodding head uncontrollably.
- Tremors that lessen with rest
- Balance problems
Essential tremor Causes
The cause of essential tremor is still unknown, although there are many theories about the causes. In many cases, we are the cause of these problems basing on the way we live. The lifestyle of the patient can play a huge contribution to this disease. Genetics are also very likely to be a factor in case of essential tremor. These are some of the main causes of Essential tremor.
- Genetics and family history
- overactive thyroid or hyperthyroidism
- Multiple sclerosis- a condition of the central nervous system affecting the senses and the body’s actions.
- Dystonia- a range of movement disorders that can cause involuntary muscle spasms
- Stroke- although it rarely results in tremor, it cannot be ruled out of the causes
- Peripheral neuropathy- a condition where the peripheral nervous system is damaged
Essential tremor Diagnosis
Reviewing the medical history of the patient and that of their family is one of the best ways of diagnosing essential tremor. If these details are not accessible, then going for the obvious symptoms would be the next way to do it. If all of this fail to provide concrete evidence, then the following tests may be done to confirm the diagnosis of essential tremor.
- Neurological examination: this involves surveying of the nervous system function so as to help in detecting the failing part. Tendons reflexes, muscles strength, gait, posture and coordination are just some of the areas of interest in this test.
- Laboratory test: your blood and urine will be tested for thyroid, metabolism problems, alcohol levels and others.
- Performance tests: the patient is subjected to some physical tests.
Essential tremor Treatment
Essential tremor is one of the conditions that require sufficient tests to be run on the patient to determine the right medication or treatment. For the patients that have mild symptoms, medical treatment may not be the right choice for them but physical exercise and therapy. Below you will find some of the common treatments for essential tremor.
- Medication- Beta-blockers such as propranolol are known for relieving tremor. Other beta blockers including metoprolol, sotalol, atenolol and metoprolol can also be used to treat this condition.
- Anti-seizure medication- Epilepsy drugs are also a good choice of essential tremor treatment.
- Tranquilizers such as alprazolam and clonazepam can be used for the patients whose condition is worsened by anxiety.
- OnabotulinumtoxinA (Botox) injection is also a certified medication.