Constipation is a common problem to many. Being constipated simply means that your movement of the bowels is happening less than normal or are difficult. It described as a condition in which one is having fewer than three movements of the bowel in a week.
There are many symptoms that show that you are suffering from constipation. Some of the symptoms are hard to notice unless you are a medical expert or have an experience in this area. You must also be aware of the symptoms that indicate severe or chronic constipation.
- Few bowel movements than the normal one.
- A sense that everything didn’t come out as it should be
- Trouble having a bowel movement (straining)
- Hard or small stools
- Swollen abdomen or severe abdominal pain
There many factors that can cause a person to experience constipation. Bad eating habits is the most common reason why many would end up having constipation. If you are suffering from constipation, then you must consider your eating habits and if you having changed any of the feeding routines. These are the main causes of constipation:
- Antacid medicines that contain calcium or aluminum
- Colon cancer
- Eating a lot of dairy products.
- Eating disorders
- Neurological conditions like Parkinson’s disease
- Not enough water or fiber in your diet
- Overuse of laxatives
- Resisting the urge to have a bowel movement, especially some people do because of hemorrhoids
Diagnosing constipation is not complicated. The doctor will only require to look for and to analyze few symptoms or observation as provided for by the patients. The doctor will have to take the following tests to find the cause of constipation:
- Blood tests so as to the check the hormone levels
- Barium test or study to look for any obstacles or blockages on your colon
- Colonoscopy test is also another effective test for blockages.
With these tests, it will be easy to deal with the condition since the physician will be in a position to prescribe the right medication.
Treatment of constipation will greatly be determined by the condition that the patient is in. You might be suffering from the normal constipation that requires just a simple treatment to recover. At the same time, chronic constipation which is a severe condition requires some specialized attention to deal with. You can change your lifestyle or take medication to treat constipation. These are the main treatments:
- Increasing your fiber intake
- Exercising most of the days in a week or enrolling into a workout program
- Try to move your bowel from time to time
- Taking lubricant
- Taking stool softener
- Surgery for chronic condition