Colon infections are some of the serious medical conditions that can be severe health complications. The types of colon infections are differentiated by what causes them. Not many people are aware that frequent stomach pain could be an indication of a colon infection. There are different types of bacteria causing infection in the colon, and this is why we have different types of colon infections or colitis. Colitis is a condition described by the inflammation of the colon that is caused by an infection or poor blood supply. Colon infections are treatable especially if they are identified at an early stage.
Colon infections Drugs
- Pain relievers
- Anti-inflammatory medications
Colon infections Symptoms
There are many symptoms that are associated with colitis or colon infections. The symptoms will usually be different depending on the type of the colitis that the patient is suffering from. The doctor will be in a position to determine the right medication depending on the symptoms that the patient is showing. It is always advisable to see a doctor whenever you start experiencing some of the severe symptoms. By doing this, you will be avoiding future complications that can lead to colon cancer. Here are some of the main colon infection symptoms.
- Blood in the stool
- Constant urge to have a bowel movement
- Abdominal pain
- Fever and chills
Colon infections Causes
There are different types of colon infections from different causes. Lifestyle is one of the main contributors to this condition. What we eat and how we eat it will definitely have an effect on the digestion system. Mostly, colon infections are as a result of poor digestion and food staying in the colon for a long time than required. This gives room for bacteria to grow and this ends up causing the infection. These are some of the main causes of colon infections:
- Bad eating habits. The best example is snacks without fiber.
- Bacteria including E.Coli, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Entamoeba, histolytic among others
- Food poisoning is also a major cause of colon infections.
Colon infections Diagnosis
Diagnosis of colon infection is very simple and all that is needed is to follow the right procedure. Everything starts with examining the patient’s medical history. It will show the type of colitis that the patient suffers frequently. The common symptoms of colon infection are usually diarrhea and abdominal pain. Here are some of the tests that are necessary for colon infection diagnosis:
- Laboratory test: blood tests will provide the necessary information about the stability of the patient and issue that is associated with colitis.
- Colonoscopy: with this test, it will be very easy for the physician to see the interior of the intestine.
- Imaging: computer tomography or CT scan is also a very effective way of diagnosing colon infections.
Colon infections Treatment
Like any other medical condition, having the right treatment is crucial in treating colon infections. It is very easy if the cause has been established. With the cause known, it will be very easy to prescribe the right medication for the condition. Here are some of the common treatments for colon infections:
- Use of fluids to clear the bowel. This will control the flow of food material in the colon and clear all deposits along the colon. Mostly, these deposits are responsible for infections.
- Intravenous fluid many also be used to control ischemic colitis.
- Antibiotics: if it is established that certain bacteria are responsible for colon infection, then the use of the antibiotics will be the perfect treatment.